Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Snapshot!

This post is a little snapshot into my day today.

I got to work in the same classes today, with a little bit more responsibility. Any thing from a teacher asking advice about his classes and how he thinks I would improve them, to working with a small group of 4 fifth graders on advanced math, I love being more involved. My training and preparation at Whitworth has helped in giving input, and being in this school shows how much we are learning that can be directly applied to classrooms. I am so thankful for that!

After dinner, a couple of the teachers took us to ride snow machines (snow mobiles) and a Honda (4 wheeler) on the river which was freezing. Now, let me clue you into the beauty that we were blessed to see. First, it is super clear outside. Meaning it is cold, cold, and more cold, but the STARS ARE AMAZING! Imagine a clear night in Bozeman, but in Alaska, so it's that much more amazing! Second, there was (what is hopefully a sneak peak of what's to come) a faint glow of the Aurora Borealis! After seeing pictures and hearing from Dad about the Aurora for months, this is a pretty big deal in person.

Then we heard it was lady's night for open gym and we went to check it out. After some peer pressure, and not wanting to look lame, I jumped in a game. Now let me tell you, I quit basketball in 8th grade, and have played intramurals and such since then, but they have been playing their whole lives. I stuck out, but I think I'm okay with that. Some of my students were playing and it meant a lot to them that I showed up and played with them (along with other ladies from the village). I still have some time to work on and sharpen my skills :)

Time for bed, I have a sore throat. I hope it's from talking all day today, but who knows. Prayer for health for all of us would mean a lot!

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,
    I'm excited that your dad forwarded to me your blog. You have now lived in a part of Alaska that I have never visited and I've lived here for 12 years. Looking forward to reading all about your experiences!
    Denise
    Alaska Space Grant

    ReplyDelete