Monday, January 28, 2013

Final Countdown :'(

Wow, it is crazy how fast a month can go!! Tomorrow is our last full, normal school day here in Noorvik. This has been one of the best life experiences for me. Ever since the word got out that I was going to Alaska, I was asked if I could handle the cold, the darkness, sleeping in the school, etc. None of that was really that bad. Everyday I have been excited to wake up and see what was in store for the day. I would not have traded this experience for anything!!!!!!!

Last week/ weekend was so busy and exhausting, but really fun! All of last week, preparations were being made for the basketball tournament. It was exhausting, but a great way to hang out with students and teachers after the school hours. Having all the teams in the school was chaotic because it always felt busy. On Friday, my class that I am with watched the tournament all day which was really fun. I worked concessions for Thursday and Friday nights, and a lot of Saturday. It was a great time being a part of a huge event here. Noorvik boys and girls took 2nd in two very intense championship games!

During the tournament, the people of the village bring in traditional dishes for the coaches, elders, and workers to enjoy. I got to try seafish chowder, caribou stew, smoked salmon, and muktk (whale)... Yep, I ate whale. It was one of the weirdest experiences because I had no idea what to expect. There were a lot of teachers in the room and elders. It was really gross, as the texture was that of an extremely stale gummy snack. It had the slight flavor of fish, which was strange. But now I feel I have been initiated kind of haha.

After the tournament ended, we went out on the snow mobiles to try and see the northern lights... It was kinda cloudy and we could only see a slight glow. It was also somewhere around -16 out. It was really fun though to get out of the school after working inside for so long! Such great memories :)

The last weekend also solidified my love of this village and this way of life. I am starting to sound a bit like a broken record I bet, but I seriously love it here. Life here is so different from anything that I have ever experienced. Life in the bush has been a great detox. No Starbucks, no unnecessary trips to target, no Facebook until recently, and overall not a whole lot of distractions. I have loved that! It was a month for processing life, and the fact that life looks different 5 months from now. It gave me a perspective of what teaching after college looks like, and that it would be something that I would love to do.. perhaps (fingers crossed and lots of prayer!!!) up here in Noorvik or at least this district. My passion for teaching and giving hope to the native people here would be the greatest. Student teaching is the next step, which will be easier after some of the classroom experiences I have had up here. After graduation, I can go and teach and serve where I am called. Before this month, that idea scared me to death, but now it is truly exciting. Whitworth was great for a time, but now it is time to go and spread light elsewhere! I am capable of making places feel like home, and making friends. This place feels right, and it is starting to feel like a home. Some of the people I met this month will be in my life forever and mentors throughout my career. I feel so, so blessed to have come up here and meet so many incredible people!

We leave Wednesday, and we are trying to get on the later flight leaving the village so that we don't have to spend our long layover in Kotzebue. We will be in back in Spokane late Thursday night. Saying bye to the students, teachers, and other village members is going to be difficult. During 5th grade today, while the students were intently working on the math I had taught them and getting it, I was tearing up. Bring on the waterworks in the next few days. The way they all have impacted me is something that I will never forget. Also, this place is straight up beautiful. The sun is up for around 5 hours a day now, so we have been lucky enough to see more of the scenery after school. Watching the sunset from the river is one example where I am filled with the incredible glory of our creator! I can't wait to come back in the summer/ fall!

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts for this trip!!!! It has been incredible and has made a huge, and lasting impact on my life! I really hope I will be back soon!

Upon my arrival to Spokane, I am moving into a house with 8 other girls (RDH holla!!), and I CAN'T WAIT!!! I am so excited for this semester and all the craziness that is about to happen.

I will keep you updated on our travels back! Pray for our last day and half!

Blessings :)

1 comment:

  1. I am guessing whale is an acquired taste! Way to step out of your comfort zone.......

    ReplyDelete