Hello there friends & family,
Thank you for the many emails, texts, and facebook messages,
and as promised here is the long awaited blog post.
It does not seem like it has been a month and a half since
my last post, but alas, I will try to recount the last few weeks. They seem
like a blur for sure, while
remaining way less overwhelming than
last year. In fact, it’s been a blast in every way so far. Coming back to
Noorvik really felt like coming home. The kids, their parents, and other people
in the village have been really welcoming. The tundra and landscape in the fall
is beautiful, and the blueberries, cranberries, and salmon berries are
prevalent. Mocha and I have been on many walks and runs and we have had some
adventures. We ran into a fox (and no, that’s not what the fox says
unfortunately) who just stared us down one morning. And have seen fresh moose
tracks (which really made me want ice cream. Get it? Wilcoxon’s Moose Tracks.
Yum.) Mocha is loving being back to her old stomping grounds and collecting
caribou bones, fish bones, and caribou skulls.
A couple of changes have occurred in regards to school and
what I am actually teaching this year. The 6th graders were moved up
to the middle school, so now I am teaching 6th, 7th, 8th,
pre-algebra, algebra, and geometry! It is definitely a lot of prep work, but
I’m more aware of what works and what doesn’t. My expectations have shifted to
fit this environment. Also, we are teaching and testing the new Alaska State
Standards this year (the Common Core, just with a different name and without
all of the handy labeling for each standard). That’s been a shift and it’s hard
to not get discouraged reading what is expected of me to teach and for the kids
to be able to learn and master by April; especially when reading levels are
very low across the board. Any insight on the Common Core in math would be
greatly appreciated! I am continually looki ng for ways to make learning math
fun and hands lon. I will say, knowing the kids better this year, and knowing
their skills, learning levels, and learning styles helps tremendously. Engaging
them seems more natural, and less like pulling teeth for 6 hours everyday. We
have now finished 8 days of school, and every day I have gone to bed loving my
job and where God has led me, albeit very exhausted!
Everyday seems to be something
new. I already have so many student quotes and stories from just a week and a
half. These kids are dealing with an incredible amount of things outside of
school, but everyday there are glimpses of hope. My heart is still broken
everyday from seeing the effects on students of drugs and alcohol, neglect, and
a general “I can’t” attitude. I work with some talented students on the daily
and it’s my dream to see them succeed. I can’t wait to further the Lord’s work
up here for a second year!
It has been in the 40s, and is
definitely smelling like fall. I’m excited for snow and ice this year! For one,
the amount of dirt and mud that gets tracked into the apartment will decrease.
And more, importantly, travel gets easier by snow machine. I’m also super
stoked to try skijouring with mocha. Before coming back up, I purchased all of
the necessary gear, and with my skis already up here, we are set! She loves it,
and the sled dog in her thrives. I also have snowshoes here too, so I’m excited
to get out and play more this year!
That’s kind of the basic run down,
and settling back into a routine. Three months off is nice, but I was ready to
have a purpose again in July, so it’s great to be back. Thanks again for all of
your support, keep on praying for this region and its people as well as the
school, staff, and students!
Cheers,
It's great to have you back and posting again - looking forward to what this year brings! Love on Mocha for me. :)
ReplyDeletefrom Caitlin's Great Aunt Kay
Thanks Kay! I will love on her for sure! :)
Delete