The last time I checked it was the beginning of January and we were all returning and getting settled in from Christmas break. Now here we are and it's February - crazy! January was quite the whirlwind. If I could pick 3 words to describe the month and its happenings I would say : productive, unexpected, and reflective. Here is why...
Productive:
There are so many things about living and teaching up here that I am learning slowly but surely. Some things are getting easier as time goes on, but other things are getting more challenging now that I know my students and their individual academic needs a bit better. This month I have felt more in a groove and in routine than I have all year. For once I am on top of grading and giving better feedback. I am more on top of lesson planning and planning better lessons. And I'm getting more organized. It's less like i'm in the ocean, almost drowning and more like being in the ocean with some floaties. Teaching is really a process, and the more I learn and pick up, the more I feel like it benefits the students and me. There was also a group from Whitworth here for the month, just like I did last year. Two of them were secondary math, so having them in my classroom allowed me time to get caught up and see my classroom from a different perspective. It was eye opening to watch my students learn in the role of an observer and not the main teacher. It helped me gain some different strategies and gave me things to look for while I teach.
Unexpected:
During January I experienced a lot of unexpected things. Granted, we never really know fully what each day will hold, but I felt taken back by quite a few things. First of all, in the middle of the month I got pretty sick. We are not just talking "strep throat, sinus infection" sick, we are talking "stomach infection, 102 degree fever, possibly appendicitis - looking at tickets to Anchorage if need be" sick. It was crazy being so far away from modern medicine, not having my mommy, and having the health aide diagnosing me using a book. During that week I got so many texts, phone calls, and letters at what seemed like the perfect time. They were unexpected in a good way and helped me to not feel so alone way up here! Now I am feeling back to 100% - so thankful!!
When one wakes up seldom do they think, "Huh. I think today I'm going to get a phone call from an Alaska State Trooper." Well last week I got the pleasure of adding that one to the list of obscure happenings. While I was teaching algebra, my classroom phone rang and it was a man who said he was a trooper based in Kotzebue working with the USPS. A couple of the Whitworth guys had sent food to my PO Box for the month, and the package in question was from one of their moms. The trooper explained that they needed my permission to search it for contraband items (since Noorvik is a dry village, and I am a pretty questionable character...). Honestly, my first reaction was to think of which of my students could be prank calling me. It was bad enough that I had 22 students staring at me while I'm waiting to be told I was getting arrested. Come to find out the box contained bread, chips, and chocolate (scandal!), and another box was leaking alcohol onto it and that I was off the hook. I sure do love surprises, but talk about a heart attack!! Keep an eye out for me on the next episode of Alaska State Troopers!! ha.
Reflective:
Having the group from Whitworth here brought back such a flood of memories. It was so crazy watching them go through the month and thinking back to my experience last January. This place really can grab you - the kids, the village, the school, there's some sort of magic to it. It brought me back to seeing the village through fresh eyes, and it was kind of fun. I still feel so lucky and blessed to be here living only a year later. It still blows my mind. The question most frequently asked last spring when I accepted the job up here was, "how long are you going to stay up there?" My response was always that I can do anything for a year and then reassess. Well, I can honestly say that I can see myself staying for at least another year. This place is so unique, but I love it and I love my students. They are blessing me in so many ways and I can't imagine leaving!!
Another thing I learned in January is that life keeps going, and that's such a beautiful thing. We are able to grow and learn from mistakes and trials. For those of you who are like the puppy fan club, you will be happy to know Mocha is doing well also! She's about twice as big as when I got her! She is a ball of fire and a pill sometimes, but it's so fun having her around.
Just this morning I registered for my first half-marathon in Seattle in June! Mocha is going to be my training buddy, and will gladly love the extra runs I'm sure. Any of you who are avid runners and marathoners, I would gladly accept any training tips :)
Also, congrats to the dozens of friends (or at least it feels like a ton) who are now engaged or married! I have enough save the dates and wedding invitations to wall paper a small room, no joke. Truly though, I am so excited for all of you to begin the next stage of your lives!
Another highlight is that there is so much more SUNSHINE!!! Just as it started fading away, and it seemed like all of a sudden it was dark all the time, it now seems way lighter for longer. The sun now rises during 2nd hour around 10:30 and sets after 5! It's like a full day. I'm very thankful because now I feel more alive and more like myself. Hello spring time :)
Anyway, this post may be kind of ramble-y, but beggars can't be dictators of my blog. Hope this post finds you well, and enjoying whatever adventure you are on!
joy and blessings,
whit
No comments:
Post a Comment